Saturday, April 7, 2012

Who Owns Congress? A Campaign Cash Seating Chart

I had sworn that I would try to avoid mixing in politics on my blog due to the fact that I'm just flat fed up with it all and, there isn't a damned thing I can do about any of it.  All it does is get my blood pressure up and make me more distressed about the failings of humanity.


However, (I know, you can see this coming) this little tidbit of information is so eye-opening that it should be seen by everyone.  The comedian, Robin Williams, once quipped that politicians should be like race car drivers and made to wear their sponsors on their uniforms.  Here's an article sent to me by the Buddy Roemer campaign that was first printed in Mother Jones in 2010 but is just as applicable today.

Who Owns Congress? A Campaign Cash Seating Chart

What if members of Congress were seated not by party but according to their major business sponsors? We gave it a try.


5 comments:

  1. Interesting article. I guess this means that if I wrote a letter to my congressman, and the letter wasn't accompanied by a big fat campaign contribution, my "representative" wouldn't be interested in what I have to say.

    I feel like the rug has been pulled out from under me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. if I've said it once...I've said it a zillion times..we're fucked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post; money might not be able to buy me love, but it sure as hell looks like it can buy influence.
    have a nice weekend with the grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a nice Easter present you gave us, thanks...and hope you have a gr8 weekend with the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder how big a contribution someone has to make for it to be influential. That's hypothetical as I couldn't possibly have enough.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the comment thingy folks. Too much spam.